The Goat Fort: Indoor climbing adventures for all ages
Warren County | Allegheny National Forest & Surrounds landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds
Founded out of a passion for the art of climbing, The Goat Fort is an indoor rock climbing gym that specializes in bouldering.
Bouldering, a form of rock climbing that emphasizes movement and navigating routes, typically is completed by climbers without ropes.
“Bouldering focuses entirely on the movement of climbing, and with bouldering it is common for several climbers to work together on the same climb. This adds a social dynamic,” owner Dana Harrington noted in a write-up for the PA Wilds Are Calling blog. While traditional rock climbing often puts attention on height, bouldering instead focuses on the sequences of moves – called “problems” – by looking at how to navigate balance, technique, flexibility, and the ability to problem-solve.
Located along the banks of the Allegheny River in the City of Warren, The Goat Fort facility provides an outlet for climbers of all ages to experience the thrill of climbing. This first-class indoor climbing gym also happens to be situated in the Allegheny National Forest & Surrounds landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds, providing a unique opportunity for climbers who may want to experience indoor climbing while taking in the outdoor adventures the area is known for.
Perhaps best of all, bouldering is a great sport for beginners and veterans alike. It provides an unending opportunity to learn and continue to challenge yourself.
Harrington, who started his own rock climbing adventure about 20 years ago in the Allegheny National Forest and has gone on to climb in all sorts of settings, is excited to be able to share the opportunity for others to participate in the activity.
The Goat Fort at 20 Clark St., Suite C, Warren, offers classes for youth and a fall climbing league, in addition to its normal open hours (Tuesday through Friday 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. and Saturday 2 p.m. – 9 p.m.).
Find out more about the art of climbing, as shared by Harrington in the following articles:
- Indoor Climbing: How an outdoor adventurer found a passion for bouldering inside
- Plastic to Rock: Safely Adapting to Climbing Outside
- The Fringe Style: Rock Climbing in the PA Wilds
- Pioneering the Forgotten: The adventure of rock climbing
RECENT WCO MEMBER SPOTLIGHTS
- PA Route 6 Alliance: Supporting a scenic heritage corridorThe PA Route 6 Alliance champions the Pennsylvania section of this transcontinental highway, promoting the plethora of rich heritage and beauty still alive along the route.
- Wilds Cooperative members can sign up for PA Wilds Marketplace, Makers MarketYou MAKE things in the PA Wilds. Here’s an opportunity to SELL them! The PA Wilds Makers Market is an online exhibitor event on November 4, which features products only found in the Pennsylvania Wilds on ShopThePAWilds.com. Register by August 31 to participate!
- New Trail Brewing Co : Inviting us to take new adventuresNew Trail Brewing Co. in Williamsport, PA, loves the outdoors as much as they love beer! The company was formed to make great beer to enjoy when you “dare to explore new places, do new things, take new trails, and have truly memorable adventures.”